Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thanksgiving fun

I'm behind in showing some pictures-this first batch is from one of the last nice days of our beautiful MN fall. We biked down to Harriet Island near our house and Leo and Eric had a skating lesson.



Leo and I cleaned up the last of our farm-stuff and made an organized home for it out at my dad's farm where I will likely be farming in 2011.



And me and my sister on Thanksgiving. Our holiday was quiet and peaceful with a delish turkey locally raised and more of the potatoes we great this year. I read about a family who literally made everything for their family dinner, right down to the butter and I thought I might try to raise even more of our food for next year and see if other family members would like to get in on the fun like this family did. We have limited access to land, so we might have to only make some things, but I thought it would be really fun and I'll think about this as the winter goes on.

Eric and Leo and I had such a fun weekend. on Friday we took Leo to the climbing gym for the first time. He's a natural and we had so much fun, I think we might try to go again this weekend if possible. I didn't climb because I am nursing a sprained wrist, but it was pretty awesome anyway. They have a great kid area so when Leo tired out, he played and Eric made a few more climbs before we left.

Eric is the climber in the distance in the green tshirt.


Leo made it about half way up before he got a little scared and he came down. They have special harnesses for little climbers like him, but even I get a little nervous all the way up there-it's 3 stories high if you climb all the way. We talked about it at night when we were cuddling in bed after story time and he said a little sadly that he didn't climb all the way up. I said, "don't worry , buddy, as you get bigger, you'll climb all the way up and then once you do it one time, you'll want to do it a bunch of times. You are learning to do so many things and I'm so proud of how you keep trying."


Then Sunday we had some more firsts for Leo. we all went to the pool and Leo has been pretty reluctant to put his face in the water during his swim lessons. Sunday we bought him a pair of goggles and despite being hesitant to try them on at first, as soon as he did and understood that he could see people under the water, he kept putting his face in again and again even though he is still learning how to keep water from getting in his nose. It was very cool for Eric and I to see him make this discovery and how the wonder of seeing underwater pushed him to keep trying.







We splashed around and played with the underwater feature of our new camera-clearly Eric was pretty intrigued :). It was a great weekend of family time.