Monday, March 8, 2010

Stuck in Yakima...

this is Mt. Shasta in Northern California - the largest mountain mass in the world. The active volcano on her southeast flank is easily visable.





The California Redwoods. No picture I took could convey the peace and beauty of this sacred space.




My Aunt Ruth and I exploring the trees.

The state park road that winds thru these giants is so tight in places you can reach out and touch the tree trunks on either side of the car.












These pictures were taken on Harris Beach, close to Coos Bay, Oregon. I have every intention of camping at the campground that is at the top of the cliff above this beach sometime in the future with Eric & Leo.













I'm still on my trip with my dad out west. Due to some bad weather stalled out this week in the dakotas, we are staying here in Yakima, Washington until it passes and we can fly home. I have done some wonderful things on this trip and despite really missing Eric and Leo, it's been a greta trip. We went to the ocean and the pictures I'm posting are from a beach on the oregon coast-very beautiful and wild. I'm also going to post some pictures of the incredible California Redwoods. Seeing those two things in the same day even inspired a poem that I will post here (it's a first draft so have mercy :) )


A true midwesterner, I
waded into the Pacific and
touched the rythmic water
to my hands -
tasting them after
from time to time in ignorant wonder.


We drove through the Redwoods and
I was dumbstruck.
The peace of the woods
and these towering anciant beings -
each spongee trunk a garden
filling the silence with the scent of
ferns and moss
and ferns and moss
and ferns and moss.

At the head and tail
of our hike
I hung my head out of the car window
in the cool, moist shade -
a dog content.


:) pray the weather clears for us and our trusty airplane brings us speedily home