Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Warning: bare kid-butt ahead!!!
the summer is going great aside from being really busy. We are getting ready tonight to leave for Whitewater state park for a couple days and are VERY excited to go chill out and enjoy us some nature. The weather looks great and Leo has been sleeping like a pro in the tent during nights he and I have spent at my dad's farmhouse, so I think it's going to be great. We had a fabulous 4th of July with my paternal family. We all gathered at my dad's new place and it was a real treat to enjoy all the company and watch Leo have such a great time with his cousins and aunties and uncles. I made Tres Leche cake and I gotta say, it was better and more authentic than Cafe Latte's - and gone within 15 minutes!

Work on the farm is going really well and I will try to take some pictures down there this week so I can post them and start the farm-blog. I have hired a Friend to help me down there 1 day a week and it's working out great. Moira and I have a good time together and her being there allows me to get much more done. My CSA families are all really happy with their produce so far and despite having to supplement sometimes from other growers, I think it's working out very well. I am taking a lot of notes about things I would like to do differently next year, both about the actual growing and the logistics of the CSA as a business model. As you can see, we have a good time on the farm and enjoy the getting dirty as much as the getting clean. On a hot day, that well water feels pretty darn good!

A recent tidbit from Leo. He and I were in the car together on the 4th and he declared:
Leo - Momma, I'll wait a lot of minutes for my baby sister. (we had been talking about time)
Me - Oh really? Well, that's great, honey, I know you'll love her a bunch.
Leo - And when she comes, I want to paint her green. I want us both to be green together. OK, Momma?
Me - wow, well, I think we could arrange something like that, but maybe not right away when she's a tiny baby.
Leo - OK, well when she's a big kid like me, right?
Me - Sure, Buddy.

Have a great week & I'll try to post some pics from our camping trip when we get back.
Ellen, Eric & Leo